Surgical TechnologistWindy Hill Hospital • Marietta, Georgia • Day Shift • Full Time • JR-6407
Job Summary: Total Joint and Sports Ortho procedures
No call or weekends or holidays!
The Surgical Technologist – functions under the direction of the registered professional nurse. Assists the health care team in providing safe, age appropriate and culturally aware patient care. He/she has knowledge, skill and ability to perform duties within the context of moderate to high acuity surgical cases (with an expectation on occasion to work above this level as cases require) as defined by the scope of anatomy, equipment and instrumentation of the case and anticipates the needs of the surgeon and other members of the healthcare team. Exhibits an acquisition of additional surgical skills for progressively more difficult cases. Demonstrates an efficient, organized surgical plan for assigned cases. Takes initiative to discuss surgical plan with other members of the healthcare team. Able to troubleshoot instruments and equipment. Anticipates any additional supplies or equipment required for procedures. Ability to mentor, precept or train in various modalities. Participates in performance improvement initiatives. Duties include, but are not limited to, preparation of the operative suite and surgical field to ensure a safe patient care environment while being vigilant for the maintenance of the sterile field and other patient safety concerns. In addition, they will gather required instruments, supplies and serve as surgical assistant as needed. (not to be confused with a certified surgical first assistant). Other duties as assigned including but not limited to assisting with inventory, ordering and stocking ORs and additional perioperative areas as assigned. Also, ensure that the unit is compliant with Joint Commission standards at all times. Call or late coverage may be required related to the facility in which the ST is working.
Core Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
Assists the health care team in providing safe, age appropriate and culturally aware patient care
- Provides relationship-based patient centered care that is consistent with population specific characteristics (e.g. age, gender, disease, etc) in a manner that adapts service delivery to reflect an understanding of cultural diversity under supervision of the registered nurse
- Always partners with the patient by verifying procedure and conducting relief bedside shift report.
- Practices using current clinical practice standards under the supervision of the registered nurse
- Upholds all health care system/organizational policies and procedures and clinical competencies put forth by this job description including legal, regulatory, and accreditation requirements and standards ensuring by way of example, such as goals as TJC Patient Safety Goals and Wellstar Health Systems’ safety absolutes.
- Supports evidence-based practice and ethical accountability
- Demonstrates teamwork and collaboration by practicing in a manner that is fiscally responsible and promotes the recruitment and retention of all healthcare team members. Promotes team spirit and positive work environment.
- Serves as patient advocate including patient care and safety.
- Assists other members of the team with between case and terminal cleaning of room.
- Assists in preparing room for the next patient.
- Assists in transporting patients.
- Appropriately provides comfort and safety measures for specific age patient.
- Participates in performance improvement initiatives. Seeks opportunities to improve processes and collaborate with the health care team
- Maintains positive attitude and flexibility in assignments He/she has the knowledge, skill and ability of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon and other members of the healthcare team within moderate to high difficulty surgical cases as defined by the scope of anatomy, equipment, and instrumentation of the case
- Checks supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedure which includes review and utilization of appropriate preference card.
- Assists with room set-up to include opening of sterile supplies.
- Sets up sterile table with instruments, supplies, equipment, and medication/solutions needed for procedure in an accurate, aseptically prioritized, and timely manner, including reviewing and utilizing appropriate preference cards
- Performs appropriate surgical counts with circulator.
- Actively participates in the procedure pause/time-out.
- Scrubs, gowns, and gloves; Gowns and gloves surgeon and assistants.
- Assists in draping sterile field.
- Passes instruments to surgeon during the procedure. Maintains an organized back table and operative field. Able to anticipate and offer surgeon suggestions throughout the procedure for facilitating cases
- Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure.
- Prepares sterile dressings.
- Actively participates in post procedure pause which includes accounting for proper handling of the specimens.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization, taking initiative to inform SPD of critical need instrument
- Applies principles of asepsis to ensure the prevention of infection and safety of patients and employees
- Prepares case carts according to procedure and preference cards. Reviews surgical schedule and assists clinical coordinator with preparation for future cases
- Observes patient’s condition and immediately reports any changes or significant findings to the physician and Registered Nurse.
- Proactively plans for the next steps in the progression of procedure as needed, demonstrating an ability to adjust without faltering when an emergency arises
- Performs with the knowledge, skill, and ability within the context of moderate to high acuity surgical cases
- Prepares OR room and other areas (as needed) for receiving patients, which includes stocking, cleaning equipment or storage areas, turns OR room over, orders/requests supplies, preparing instruments for future procedures, notification of specialty staff regarding needed instrumentation or equipment.
- Maintains a financial stewardship related to supplies and equipment, only opening required supplies until requested by the surgeon Practice Development
- Completes all initial and annual competencies, required mandatory education, population specific education, CBLs
- Provides positive learning environment for students and new hires
- Strives to make the Wellstar Standards of behavior part of daily work activity
- Participates in any new training related to new policies, processes, or equipment. Ability to mentor, precept, or train students and new employees.
- Retains new information and implements new processes or new equipment
- Resource for new technology or procedures introduced by our surgeons
- Maintains twenty (20) hours in continuing education related to field per evaluation period Other duties as assigned
- Supports licensed staff as requested by utilizing skills and equipment in which he/she is competent
- Cares for surgical equipment and accessories
- Always ensures organization and cleanliness of the surgical area
- Maintains stock/medical supplies
- Assumes responsibility for other duties as assigned
- Completes all Success Factor Requirements by planning with charge nurses and managers if necessary
Required Minimum Education:
High school diploma Required or
GED Required or
Graduate of an accredited (for example: CAAHEP and ABHES) program in surgical technology Required or
a licensed practical nurse. Required
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s):
Cert Surgical Tech 1.00 Preferred
Lic Practical Nurse 1.00 Preferred
Tech in Surgery - Certified 1.00 Preferred
Basic Life Support 2.00 Required
BLS - Instructor 2.00 Required
BLS - Provisional 2.00 Required
Additional Licenses and Certifications:
Required Minimum Experience:
Required Minimum Skills:
Ability to read, write and speak the English language; Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
Ability to collaborate with other health care providers in the provision of patient care
Ability to delegate to other team members as required
Ability to multi-task essential
Ability to function in stressful and emergency situations essential
Strong detail orientation required
Knowledge of surgical procedures required
Basic computer skills are required.
Skill and ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in-writing.
Skill and ability to handle multiple priorities, self-direct, and apply independent judgment.
Ability to think critically and adapt quickly to changing situations.
Skill and ability in basic computer skills to include Word, Excel
Join us and discover the support to do more meaningful work—and enjoy a more rewarding life. Connect with the most integrated health system in Georgia, and start a future that gives you more.