Registered Assistant Nurse Manager - General CardiacWellstar Kennestone Hospital • Marietta, GA • Nursing Leadership • 111463 • Evenings • Full-Time
When you become a member of the Cardiac Service Line at Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical Center, you will join an award-winning team at one of the top 100 hospitals. Our Cardiac Program has earned the elite Comprehensive Cardiac Center Certification from the Joint Commission by providing continuously reliable care to high-risk cardiac patients. Wellstar Kennestone offers the most advanced care available for all surgical, medical, rehabilitative, and emergency care needs. In addition to a highly qualified team of physicians, nurses, and clinical staff, we offer the very latest in technology and diagnostic imaging capabilities. Kennestone is currently a 633 bed Trauma Center soon to grow as we will open a new patient bed tower in 2026. Come grow with us!
Blue 6 West functions as a specialized medical unit with 24 beds dedicated to Thoracic Surgery and Cardiac Telemetry. This unit caters to a diverse range of patients, including those undergoing thoracic surgery, individuals with complex medical conditions, and those dealing with cardiac issues and related comorbidities. Among the common admission diagnoses are cases involving lung cancer nodules, pneumothorax, pleural effusion, emphysema, esophageal diverticulum, mediastinal tumors, rib fractures, and patients recovering from VAT (Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery) procedures. Furthermore, Blue 6 West is equipped to provide care to interventional cardiology patients, such as those recovering from cardiac catheterization, cardiac ablation, pacemaker placement, and patients transferred from the Electrophysiology (EP) lab.
The nursing staff on this unit possesses expertise in heart rhythm assessment and receives comprehensive training in heart failure management. Our dedicated team of healthcare professionals vigilantly monitors critical vital signs and promptly addresses any deviations from the baseline or expected outcomes. In essence, Blue 6 West offers continuous observation and care for patients whose conditions don't warrant placement in Intensive Care Units but still demand constant surveillance and monitoring.
The assistant nurse manager is a registered professional nurse who provides support and works in conjunction with the nurse manager of a specific unit(s) or service. He/she is viewed as aspiring to be a nurse manager and through this role to learn additional knowledge and skills through experience and mentoring by the nurse manager and the hospital/system. The assistant nurse manager must possess very good skills in communication and teamwork and serve as a mentor for others while learning the responsibilities of his/her role. Together with the nurse manager, the assistant nurse manager uses his/her knowledge and skills to promote the creation of a center of excellence for staff recruitment and retention and clinical and business outcomes. The assistant nurse manager upholds the nurse manager's direction and actively leads staff in the performance of their daily activities and participates in their performance reviews, as well as coaching and counseling as appropriate.
In collaboration with the nurse manager, holds staff accountable for the delivery of care and services through effective communication, observation, and the management and measurement of specific interventions/practices and their associated outcomes. This key leader plays a significant role in assisting the nurse manager in achieving clinical and financial goals along with management of human/material resources as delegated. He/she also plays a pivotal role in staff recruitment, mentoring and retention. He/She models the way to foster teamwork and collaboration with physicians, staff, patients and other departments. Role specific competencies, responsibilities, roles and functions are based on Professional Practice
Model, 5 Star Nursing.
It is expected that all RN Assistant Nurse Managers are licensed, knowledgeable and uphold the practice of nursing as outlined by the Georgia Professional Nurse Practice Act and implements the Scope of Practice and Code of Ethics Standards put forth by the American Nurses Association. As a member of the patient services team, it is expected the individual upholds the voice of the patient, system policies and procedures while supporting service excellence goals..
Core Responsibilites and Essential Functions
- Resources and Support
* Engages staff in decision making via shared governance processes and partners with others to promote patient centered care and service excellence. Supports the nurse manager as his/her designee and provides evolving leadership and management skills for a specific business/clinical unit(s)
* Represents the organization positively to the community, building credibility and is a member of one?s professional organization
* Serves to support the charge nurse and other nurse leaders on the unit to promote the effective running of the care delivery system and ensures that the clinical processes of care are working as intended ? serves as a resource for all staff and accepts additional responsibilities in the nurse manager?s absence.
* Assists with budget development and supports monitoring and meeting fiscal outcomes for the work unit. Self-directed in learning how to apply lean and other quality skills to reduce waste and improve performance of operations and clinical systems of care.
- Interdisciplinary Teamwork and Collaboration
* Effectively communicates to diverse workforce and enjoys mentoring others while learning the necessary skills for progressive responsibilities in nursing management. Works in collaboration with the nurse manager to hold all staff at point of care accountable for performance standards
* Creates opportunities for self and staff to grow and implements a healthy, safe, desirable work place that ensure for the retention and recruitment of qualified staff now and in the future.
- Exemplary Practice and Outcomes
* Promote staff competency in clinical care delivery
* Holds self and staff to the highest professional and ethical standards, ensuring corporate compliance standards, clinical competency, etc. are met. Is an active member of one?s professional community and serves as a role model for professional nursing practice and nursing leadership
* Successfully works with nurse managers to employ change management strategies and instills in self and others the curiosity to explore new knowledge and ideas
- Professional Development
* Represents the organization positively to the community, building credibility and as a member of one?s professional organization.
* Seeks opportunities to advance knowledge and skills through formal and informal educational offerings to enhance understanding of how health care is financed and how to manage a diverse nursing workforce
- Evidence Based Practice and Research
* Promotes Evidence based practice, nursing research and performance improvement in nursing. Participates in activities such as value analysis as part of the decision making process in evaluating patient care products.
* Effectively identifies areas of performance improvement of staff and clinical systems. Supports nurse leader projects to improve the same - includes assuring service meets or exceed licensure, regulatory and accreditation standards
* Advances managerial skills to effectively use data and evidence to support decision making for clinical and operational responsibilities and demonstrates awareness of legal and ethical issues related to patient and staff data, information and confidentiality
Required for All Jobs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all WellStar Health System policies, standards of work, and code of conduct.
Required Minimum Education
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing (BSN) from accredited nursing school Required and
- Master's Degree in Nursing Preferred and
- If bachelor degree is not in nursing, MSN must be from accredited nursing school. Required
Required Minimum Experience
- Minimum 3 years of clinical experience Required
Required Minimum Skills
- Should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and relationship building;
- desires to see progressive nursing management roles and enjoys/seeks opportunities to coach and mentor others.
- Seeks to learn and demonstrate progressive skills in the business of managing a patient care unit or service by obtaining the commitment and productivity of nursing staff.
- Must be a continuous learner who seeks to better understands health care financing;
- strategy and operations for running a business unit(s); and effectively employ data and technology to support work processes and make decisions. Supports shared governance or shared decision making;
- manage the design and delivery of care that in based on evidence and focused on quality and safety.
- Demonstrates interest and aptitude to achieve knowledge of risk management and various accreditation/regulations/licensing requirements.
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s)
- Reg Nurse (Single State) 1.00 Required 1.00
- RN - Multi-state Compact 1.00 Required 1.00
- Basic Life Support 2.00 Required 2.00
- BLS - Instructor Required
- BLS - Provisional Required
Additional Licenses and Certifications
- National certification in nursing administration Preferred