Lab Support Services Specialist- General LabWellstar Kennestone Hospital • Marietta, GA • Allied Health • 111676 • Nights • Full-Time
WellStar Kennestone Hospital has an opportunity for a Lab Support Services Specialist in the General Lab.
Full-Time- Night Shift - Monday- Friday (with weekend rotation)- 10:30pm- 7:00am
As one of the Top 100 hospitals, WellStar Kennestone offers the most advanced care available for all your surgical, medical, rehabilitative, and emergency care needs. In addition to a highly qualified team of physicians, nurses, and clinical staff, we offer the very latest in technology and diagnostic imaging capabilities.
Under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager or designee, performs technical and non-technical duties within the Laboratory service areas on the hospital campus. Duties included, but not limited to:
HIS/LIS data entry, troubleshooting and laboratory technical support functions
Customer Service for all patients and health care providers.
Specimen receipt and processing including preparing specimens for transport to reference labs, microbiology processing, loading samples on lab automation and preparing samples for the technical staff.
Phlebotomy procedures including all types of specimen collection techniques.
Pre-Analytical and specimen storage robot operation
Assist in multiple areas as workload and staffing changes.
Core Responsibilites and Essential Functions
- Technical/ HIS / LIS
* HIS / LIS order entry. Able to work in multiple computer systems as needed to perform job functions. Use critical thinking skills and lab knowledge to resolve patient orders and irretrievable samples.
* Report and troubleshoot HIS/LIS, printer, fax malfunctions.
* Organize specimen intake in various downtime scenarios and recovery from same.
* Assist with inventory control. Maintain organization of laboratory storage areas.
* Restock consumables in the phlebotomy, clerical areas, store room and laboratory.
* Perform QA checks on refrigerators, freezers as required.
- Customer Service Support
* Complies with AIDET standards always
* Communicate effectively and courteously with all outpatients, visitors and hospital personnel as they arrive in the lab or when on patient care areas, making a good, competent impression our priority.
* Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality always.
* Receive incoming calls; resolve or route as appropriate.
* Resolve patient / patient care provider complaints; understand when to refer to supervisor.
* Provide patient test results to patient care providers via printed reports, fax or verbal communication.
* Maintain organized files for physician orders, reference lab reports, other lab reports, as needed.
* Make follow-up calls to patients, patient care providers concerning problem specimens, recollects.
* Perform call back function for critical and notification values.
- Specimen Receipt and Processing
* Check all specimens arriving in the lab for sufficient quality and quantity.
* Cancel unacceptable specimens after notifying RN and documenting in the LIS.
* Centrifuge, decant or split specimens as needed; combine orders as needed. Take to the testing areas in a timely fashion. Pull samples as needed for lab pending lists.
* Measure and aliquot 24 hr urine samples and enter required information in the LIS.
* Via tracking and pending logs, prepare specimens for transport to reference labs.
* Check accuracy of outpatient orders and resolve discrepancies, correcting orders as needed.
* Check physician, drop off specimen and Home Health orders for accuracy in HIS/LIS.
* Resolve any insurance/billing problems noted with PAS or Outreach staff.
* Processing microbiology specimens (plating/preparation and preparing gram stains)
- Teaching /In-Service/ Email
* Assists in orientation and training of new employees as assigned.
* Check emails daily in Sunquest.
* Completes all assigned training and competency testing within specified time periods.
* Participates in 80% of staff meetings and reads 100% of posted meeting minutes.
Required for All Jobs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all WellStar Health System policies, standards of work, and code of conduct.
Required Minimum Education
- High school diploma Required or
- GED Diploma from an accredited program Required
Required Minimum Experience
- Experience in either phlebotomy and / or specimen processing in an outpatient or hospital laboratory environment Required
Required Minimum Skills
- Strong written and verbal communication, customer service, multi-tasking and organizational skills, professionalism, detail and team-oriented, data entry, typing 40 wpm and working computer knowledge.
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s)
- Basic Life Support 2.00 Required 2.00
- BLS - Instructor Required
- BLS - Provisional Required
Additional Licenses and Certifications
- Phlebotomy Certification by a national organization Preferred