Coding Technical AnalystWellstar Shared Services • Marietta, GA • Coding, Compliance, and Health Information Systems • 104714 • Days • Full-Time
The Coding Department Technical Analyst serves as a revenue cycle, technology and coding expert to the Coding team and leadership to answer questions, investigate accounts, identify system issues, and test new functionality and updates, resolve billing/account edits and denials, and participate in improvement opportunities.
Core Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Serves as a resource for Coding functions such as inpatient/outpatient coding, edits, and other work queues as needed during high volume, absenteeism and other times
* Codes/abstracts accounts
* Works edit work queues
* Works on misc. work queues such as missing documentation, missing phys. documentation, queries, ready to code, etc.
- Serves as a technology training resource for new contract and WellStar coders, mentoring them on processes and applications, and other questions as needed.
* Ensures that new coders receive necessary Epic, 3M, tip sheets and other training and policies/procedures and other materials for reference.
* Ensures that new coders have a resource they can reach out to with specific how-to questions about coding, the technology and other needs.
* Provides Epic, 3M and other more detailed training via Teams on various topics and procedures.
* Participates in the development of communication and tools for all coders as needed.
* Coordinates internal communications about downtimes, updates and new functionality and enhancements to the coders.
- Assists Manager and Director with miscellaneous projects and implementations to ensure smooth operations and customer service.
* Participates in or represents Coding in Epic and other application discussions of issues, resolutions, communicating them as needed.
* Serves on work teams as needed for operational and technical projects to provide coding point of view.
* Represents the Coding Department on all coding-related IT projects, sitting on project teams, coordinating and performing testing, and communicating issues and resolution.
* Completes monthly, quarterly and other coding application testing including reviewing documentation, preparing test plans, testing, validating, and preparing training materials and communications for the Coding and stakeholder departments.
- Supports coding operations by analyzing problem accounts and work queues for resolution for resolution.
* Works the account work queues: Coding Supervisor Review, DNBS, Needs Coding Combined/Uncombined, Needs Coding Review, Denials, External Questions, and others as needed.
* Works the edit work queues: Coding Manager WQ, Coding Review from RMD, and others as needed.
* Monitors account and edit work queues for trends, past due, risks, backlogs or other problem accounts and reports to appropriate supervisor/manager as needed.
* Works special reports such as no-work queue, high dollar, aging, etc.
* Serves as a resource for other problem accounts and issues as needed.
* Represents Coding on the daily CFB revenue cycle call as an active participant.
Required for All Jobs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all WellStar Health System policies, standards of work, and code of conduct.
Required Minimum Education
- High school graduate Required or
- GED Diploma from an accredited program Required and
- Completed course in anatomy and physiology. Required
Required Minimum Experience
- minimum· minimum 2 years of acute care coding experience Required and
- minimum 1 year experience working and resolving coding/billing account edits and or/denials Required and
- Computer/data entry experience. Required
Required Minimum Skills
- Must have and maintain a 95% or higher accuracy in abstracting, code and DRG assignment while meeting productivity requirements
- Ability to communicate with various members of the healthcare team.
- Ability to use EXCEL, Word and have basic computer operational knowledge.
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s)
- Cert Coding Spec 1.00 Required 1.00
- Reg Health Information Admin 1.00 Required 1.00
· Reg Health Information Tech 1.00 Required 1.00
Additional Licenses and Certifications