Clinical Doc SpecWellstar Shared Services • Marietta, GA • Coding, Compliance, and Health Information Systems • 113001 • Days, Evenings, Various, Weekend Option • PRN
The Remote Clinical Documentation Specialist (CDS) demonstrates strong clinical knowledge and understanding of coding/DRG requirements to improve overall quality and completeness of clinical documentation in the patient medical record on a concurrent, and potentially a prospective and retrospective basis, using a multi-disciplinary team process. The CDS works collaboratively with physicians, other healthcare professionals and coding team to ensure that clinical information in the medical record is present and accurate so that the appropriate utilization, clinical severity, outcomes and quality is captured for the level of service rendered to all patients, as well as ensuring compliant reimbursement of patient care services.
ResponsibilitiesCore Responsibilites and Essential Functions
* Reviews medical records concurrent and/or prospective/retrospective to the patient visit to determine opportunities to query physicians regarding essential clinical documentation.
* Conducts timely follow-up reviews to ensure appropriate clinical documentation is recorded in patient's chart.
* Performs concurrent hospital-wide medical record reviews facilitating improvement in the quality, completeness and accuracy of medical record documentation to ensure coding compliance, accurate reporting, appropriate reimbursement, and improved patient outcomes. Performs prospective and/or retrospective reviews as assigned.
* Submits electronic queries as appropriate, to clinicians to ensure documentation of complete and accurate records to allow coding assignments post discharge that will accurately reflect the severity and risk of mortality of the patient population.
* Ensure queries are compliant, grammatically correct, concise and free of typographical errors.
* Provides appropriate follow up on all queries.
* Notifies onsite Regional CDI Manager immediately when queries are not answered. Provides all data necessary for onsite Regional CDI Manager to assist.
* Reconciles all appropriate records daily in CDI software tool to ensure appropriate reporting is generated.
* Maintains required daily/weekly/monthly metrics. Meets productivity standards.
* Participates in required onsite meetings, conference calls and Skype presentations.
* Adheres to departmental Policies and Procedures.
* Participates in assuring hospital compliance with Federal and State regulatory requirements.
* Submit ideas to improve work flow and increase productivity of his/her team to the CDI Regional Manager/Executive Director and perform any other duties as assigned.
* Reviews quarterly Coding Clinic changes/summaries and follows appropriate required changes to their process.
* Reviews data and trends to identify additional areas of opportunity.
* Provides input to core measure and other quality data initiatives regarding areas for investigation and education (PSI?s and HAC?s).
* Identify and participate in opportunities to improve documentation, EPIC, and quality of care initiatives.
Required for All Jobs
QualificationsRequired Minimum Education
Required Minimum Experience
Required Minimum Skills
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s)
Additional Licenses and Certifications