Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) - Pediatric SurgeryWellstar Medical Group • Kennesaw, GA • WellStar Medical Group • 112267 • Days, Various • Full-Time
The Medical Assistant functions under the direction of the Physician, Clinical Lead, Clinical Nurse Supervisor, Nurse Supervisor and/or Office Manager. Recognizes patient's needs and symptoms in advance. Provides care for the patient under the physician's direction. Includes preparing patient for exams, assisting during treatments, coordinating tests and follow-up care and recording treatment in the medical record. Assists with explaining patient instructions to the patient/family. Demonstrates competency and skills to serve patients of all ages including neonate, infant, child, adolescent, adult and geriatric populations. Performs other duties as necessary related to front office registration, laboratory testing, and radiology functions within a specialty setting.
Core Responsibilites and Essential Functions
- Clinical and Non-Clinical Duties and Expectations
* Register patient upon entrance to facility
* Perform all necessary registration operations
* Prepare equipment and rooms and aid physician with treatment of patients
* Perform vitals and other duties to prep patients
* Rotate among various clinical and non-clinical service areas such as lab, x-ray, and front office
* Main safety needs of the patient
* Cross train other team members
- Diagnostic Imaging Duties and Expectations
* Perform radiographic and other diagnostic imaging procedures to assist clinical team and physicians in treatment of the patients.
* Prepare and position the patients for imaging procedures ensuring all proper techniques including radiation protection.
* Obtain optimum views as ordered by the physician
* Process images and review for proper identification and quality control.
* Cross train other team members
* Complete and maintain logs, reports, and documentation
- Laboratory Duties and Expectations
* Properly start lab equipment daily and maintain daily logs and documentation requested
* Perform laboratory tests according to orders and instructions
* Draw blood samples from patients and perform Point of Care testing
* Order and stock supplies weekly
* Perform daily quality control and cleaning procedures according to guidelines
* Cross train other team members
- Patient Liaison
* Provides relationship-based patient centered care that is consistent with population specific characteristics (e.g. age, gender, disease, etc) in a manner that adapts service delivery to reflect an understanding of cultural diversity.
* Always partners with the patient and significant others and/or family (as appropriate) using such appropriate method for setting and purpose (e.g.,Huddles; interdisciplinary rounds; just in time and explanation of physicians instructions ); keeping the patient at ease in the physician?s office, and making the patient?s goals the focus of the plan of care.
* Practices using current clinical practice standards.
- Team Work and Collaboration
* Coordinates the delivery and documentation of safe quality patient care that promotes the professional care delivery model. This includes, but is not limited to diverse and inclusive interdisciplinary communication methods (huddles, interdisciplinary rounds); completion of timely documentation and promotion of a respectful, inclusive clinical environment.
* Demonstrates teamwork and collaboration by practicing in a manner that is fiscally responsible and promotes the recruitment and retention of all healthcare team members.
- Professional Development and Initiative
* Completes all initial and ongoing professional competency assessment, required mandatory education, and population specific education.
* May be asked to serve as a preceptor for onboarding Medical Assistants/students and is an exemplary role model for all staff or students for all disciplines to ensure that there is a current and future qualified workforce; modeling professionalism and creating a healthy work environment.
- Evidence Based Practice and Research
* Promotes Evidence based practice, in regards to safe, quality patient care. Participates in activities such as value analysis as part of the decision making process in evaluating patient care products.
* Upholds all health care system/organizational policies and procedures and clinical competencies put forth by this job description and professional association including legal, regulatory and accreditation requirements and standards ensuring by way of example, such goals as TJC Patient Safety Goals and WellStar Health Systems? safety absolutes. May serve as practice Safety Coach.
* Participates in data collection poses relevant clinical questions to advanced evidence based practice. Consults appropriate experts and uses appropriate resources and evidence to address practice questions.
- Resources and Support
* Proactively plans for the care of patients across the care continuum in the course of giving direct patient care.
* Participates in the development of protocols and procedures when called upon or through self-initiation in collaboration with care managers and other members of the health care team to achieve best practice outcomes (i.e., relevant patient populations).
* Supports efficient and effective use of human and material resources.
Required for All Jobs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all WellStar Health System policies, standards of work, and code of conduct.
Required Minimum Education
- High school diploma Required and
- equivalent Required and
- Graduate from an accredited medical assistant program Preferred and
- Graduate from a newly formed medical assistant program in which the program has the intent to seek CAAHEP or ABHES accreditation Preferred
Required Minimum Experience
- Work experience in a practice setting Preferred and
- Specific experience in practice specialty Required and
- Radiology experience preferred, and/or will provide training within first sixty days. Required and
- Phlebotomy certification preferred, and/or will provide training within first sixty days.
Required Minimum Skills
- Must be organized and attentive to detail.
- Must be able to work quickly and efficiently to assure patient comfort and satisfaction.
- Able to communicate and understand verbal and written English language, optimize the use of technology to support clinical care and holds basic computer skills.
- The employee should also be able to adhere to the WellStar Credo and Code of Conduct.
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s)
- Cert Medical Assistant Required
- Basic Life Support Required
- BLS - Instructor Required
- BLS - Provisional Required
Additional Licenses and Certifications
- Must have successfully passed a Medical Assistant credentialing body examination (AAMA, AMT, NHA, or NCCT) with current and maintained Medical Assistant Credential Required and
- Must complete the required OSHA training course for operators of radiology equipment within sixty days of hire. Required