Paramedic EDWellstar Douglas Hospital • Douglasville, GA • Allied Health • 113765 • Evenings • Part-Time
How would you like to work in a place where your contributions and ideas are valued? A place where you can serve with compassion, pursue excellence and honor every voice? At Wellstar, our mission is simple, yet powerful: to enhance the health and well-being of every person we serve. We are proud to have become a shining example of what's possible when the brightest professionals dedicate themselves to making a difference in the healthcare industry, and in people's lives.
Wellstar Douglas in Douglasville, Georgia is seeking a PT Paramedic ED
The Paramedic ED reports to Manager of Emergency Department. The Emergency Department Paramedic is a proactive member of an interdisciplinary team of licensed and unlicensed care givers who ensure that patients, families and significant others receive individualized high quality, safe patient care. They practice in a clinical environment that is administered by Nurse Managers and other leaders.
As an integral member of the Emergency Department team the Paramedic will support treatment in the hospital emergency department (ED). The paramedic will be required to assist with patient care treatment in conjunction with a Registered Nurse (RN that directs plan of care, team goals, and performance. The paramedic shall cover the range of services provided in a medical treatment facility in accordance with O.C.G.A.? 31-11-59 which outlines the services of paramedics in hospitals and defined hospital specific duties. In addition, the paramedic promotes and restores patients' health and the overall patient experience by collaborating with physicians, RNs, and multi-disciplinary team members, and providing support to patients, families and significant others.
It is expected that all Emergency Department Paramedics possess a Georgia paramedic license and the national registry certification for paramedics. The paramedic must be knowledgeable and adhere to the scope of paramedic practices as outlined in the Georgia Department of Human Resources Division of Public Health Office of Emergency Medical Services scope of practices. As a member of the patient services team, it is expected that the individual upholds the voice of the patient, system policies and procedures while supporting service excellence goals.
Core Responsibilites and Essential Functions
- Patient Care
* Assists medical and nursing staff with the care and treatment of Emergency patients
* Assists in the intake process by greeting and interviewing patients and inputting pertinent medical information into the computer system.
* Performs and assists nursing and medical staff in various diagnostic testing and procedures such as performing EKG, placing patients on the cardiac monitor, venipuncture, point of care testing, wound care, applying orthopedic devices and equipment, applying splints and casts and other duties assigned within the scope of practice.
* Perform functions as delegated by the RN such as:
i. Initiate IV
ii. Administer Oral, IM and some IV medications
iii. Perform glucose monitoring
iv. Perform ISTAT testing
* Transport patients to the ICU
* Transport and monitor critical patients
* Assist with patient flow in the ED
* Perform command center technician duties
* Perform monitor tech duties
* Receive EMS patients into the ED and begin to collect data to assist the RN in the initial triage and assessment of the patient
* Assist with education of the patient and family.
* Respond as assigned to Trauma Alert, Code Fast, STEMI Alerts
- Technician Duties
* Ensure that the rooms are patient ready
* Stock patient care rooms
* Clean in accordance with infection control policies rooms in between patients
* Transport patients as requested by the RN
Required for All Jobs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all WellStar Health System policies, standards of work, and code of conduct.
Required Minimum Education
- High School graduate Required or
- GED High School graduate or possess a General Educational Development (GED) Degree Graduation from an accredited paramedic training program. Required
Required Minimum Experience
- Completion of accredited paramedic program and associated clinical hours. Required and
- Minimum 2 years experience as a paramedic in the field or in a hospital setting Preferred
Required Minimum Skills
- Ability to read, write and speak English language, optimize the use of technology to support clinical care and holds basic computer skills;
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative skills along with customer service skills required;
- Ability to function in a fast paced environment and respond to emergencies in using a decisive, composed and respectful manner;
- provide care using evidence and analytical skills along with possessing strong critical thinking skill Possess excellent time management skills;
- provide care using evidence and analytical skills along with possessing strong critical thinking skills.
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s)
- Basic Life Support 1.00 Required 1.00
- Pediatric Adv Life Support 2.00 Required 2.00
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support 3.00 Required 3.00
- Paramedic 4.00 Preferred 4.00
- BLS - Provisional Required
- BLS - Instructor Required
- ACLS - Provisional Required
- ACLS - Instructor Required
- PALS - Provisional Required
- PALS - Instructor Required
Additional Licenses and Certifications