Medical Tech II- General LabWellstar Kennestone Hospital • Marietta, GA • Allied Health • 112019 • Evenings • Full-Time
WellStar Kennestone Hospital has an opportunity for a Medical Tech II in the General Lab & Microbiology Department.
Full-Time- Evening Shift Monday -Friday 2:30pm -11:30pm (with weekend rotation)
As one of the Top 100 hospitals, WellStar Kennestone offers the most advanced care available for all your surgical, medical, rehabilitative, and emergency care needs. In addition to a highly qualified team of physicians, nurses, and clinical staff, we offer the very latest in technology and diagnostic imaging capabilities.
Under the general supervision of the Supervisors, Manager or Director, performs clinical laboratory testing pursuant to established and approved protocols requiring the exercise of independent judgment and responsibility, maintains equipment and records, performs quality assurance activities related to test performance and may supervise and teach within the laboratory setting. The Med Tech II is fully proficient in their area of expertise, and will serve as
a Generalist in all areas of the General Lab and Blood Bank, or as a Key Operator / Subject Matter Expert in their assigned area.
Accuracy: Maintains acceptable accuracy in-patient, quality assurance, proficiency, and competency testing.
Critical Thinking: Uses clinical/ theoretical knowledge to analyze, investigate, interpret, and report lab data.
Job Knowledge: Maintains current personal training, education and practice of policies and procedures.
Productivity: Practices organizational skills for efficiency of time, materials, cost, and availability of lab data
Communication: Practices information monitoring, investigation, resolution, and hand-off to team members.
Performs other duties as assigned:
Core Responsibilites and Essential Functions
- PERFORMS RESPONSIBILITIES OF A MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST
* Works independently analyzing blood and body fluids for ordered diagnostic tests in General laboratory, Blood Bank, or Microbiology sections Results all tests using good lab technique and adheres to established procedures.
* Performs all routine testing in hematology, manual hematology, urinalysis, coagulation, processing, chemistry , manual chemistry, blood bank and microbiology as requested
* Performs all lab supplementary tasks for Quality control, chemical safety, logs all required activities to track workload, work in progress, pending logs and amended information.
* Effectively communicates all information to appropriate personnel as required by policy and procedure. Participates in shift to shift hand-off communication
- PERFORMS DUTIES OF SUPERVISORS IN THEIR ABSENCE
* Acts as a resource to the Pathologists. Resolves any issues they require.
* Fields problem phone calls and resolves issues. Checks the critical logs.
* Serves as a technical resource to other techs. Trains techs in new procedures.
* Acts as consultants and advisors to the other Supervisors
- SPECIAL ASSIGNED DUTIES MAY INCLUDE:
* Performs scheduled Maintenance on a key instrument.
* Maintains up-to-date procedure manuals.
* Makes sure all daily and weekly maintenance is completed for the instrument.
* Maintain reagent logs and logs all new shipment lot numbers in the log.
* Maintains QC reports. Checks L-J charts and monitors closely any shifts.
* Orders all needed supplies for the area. Keep inventory stocked 2 weeks worth.
* Provides training for new employees in the designated section/instrument. Creates documents and regularly completes Performance Improvement Projects.
* Performs linearity studies and correlation studies bi-annually for their key instrument.
* Evaluates new tests and procedures changes
* Performs C.A.P. surveys when assigned, helps to assign surveys to others when needed.
* Maintains CAP and The Joint Commission readiness
- BLOOD BANK DUTIES IF REQUIRED
* Participates in a regular bench rotation in the blood bank on evening or night shift as needed.
* Run automated blood bank instrument according to established procedures.
* Performs stat duties as needed.
* Order and supply blood products where needed.
* Complete work assignments for the shift.
Required for All Jobs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all WellStar Health System policies, standards of work, and code of conduct.
Required Minimum Education
- Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology or related science, except for HEW. Required
Required Minimum Experience
- minimum 2 years experience as a Medical Technologist with 1 year of Blood Bank experience if applicable. Required and
- Epic and 3M experience Preferred
Required Minimum Skills
- Computer/data entry experience.
- Ability to communicate with various members of the healthcare team.
- Ability to use EXCEL, Word and have basic computer operational knowledge.
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s)
- Med Tech ASCP Certification 1.00 Required 1.00
- Med Technologist (AMT) 1.00 Required 1.00
- Med Technologist (AAB) 1.00 Required 1.00
Additional Licenses and Certifications