Executive Director, Oncology SvcsWellstar Shared Services • Marietta, GA • Leadership • 114022 • Days • Full-Time
The Executive Director of Oncology Services is accountable to provide strategic and operational leadership for the designated Wellstar Cancer Center, market and related oncology sites in AUGUSTA, GEORGIA. This position may have oversight for oncology clinics, infusion, radiation therapy, navigation, and other services as assigned. The Executive Director will successfully maintain positive relationships, oversee the continuity of cancer care and integrate activities
with other major organizational units and hospital departments. Additionally, they will be responsible for achieving quality outcomes, patient satisfaction, personnel management, operating budgets, financial
management, compliance, provider satisfaction, employee engagement and performance improvement. This position will report to the designated Vice President and Chief Operating Officer or Vice President of
Operations and will work in close partnership with the Medical Director or physician leader for the Cancer Center. They will serve as a key member of the WellStar Cancer Program leadership team, supporting the Chief
Oncology Officer and the Vice President of Oncology Service Line to grow the program, identify capital improvements, meet accreditation requirements, and assist to achieve system initiatives. The Executive Director
will perform the job functions utilizing independent judgment, ingenuity, and initiative with ability to interact and direct successful operations within multidisciplinary specialty physician groups.
Core Responsibilites and Essential Functions
Assures coordination of all aspects of the delivery of cancer services in oncology services, at the hospital and its departments. Demonstrates leadership in critical thinking, conflict management and
problem solving. Hires, trains and oversight of oncology directors and managers. Develops and/or implements best practices to achieve operational benchmarks and efficiencies. Meets with team
regarding departmental operations, develops plans to ensure goals are successfully met. Cultivates positive relationships among team members and between departments. Exhibits and promotes a
“can-do” attitude. Supports or leads affiliated organization committees and task forces.
Growth and Strategy:
In coordination with local and system executives, partners with Cancer Center Medical Director or physician leader to identify growth and programmatic opportunities, prepares strategic initiatives and
oversees the successful implementation of approved initiatives. Works with leadership to maximize income generation, financial growth and ambulatory services at all sites. Develop a culture of an
excellent patient experience, highly accessible patient care, innovative therapies, and safe/high quality care.
Budgetary and financial management:
Collaborates with appropriate departments to develop budgets for the cancer center and the oncology service line. Prepares budgets realistically reflecting needed expenditures of assigned
functions. Develops strategies to identify and monitor the cost of the delivery of cancer care. Determines resources and actions required to accomplish objectives. Sets priorities and manage time effectively.
Identifies potential problems/opportunities and plan contingent actions. Take appropriate corrective actions to ensure operations are managed within approved budgets.
Plans for future needs of the service and collaborative areas, including personnel, equipment, supplies program development, inter-department and institutional relationships to maintain market
competitiveness in the community. Monitors budget variances and monthly cost center responsibility report responses. Reviews productivity reports with departmental leaders to review benchmarks
relative to staffing/labor and expenses as measured by Kronos Analytics and Vizient ODB for all areas.
Service Line Coordination:
Collaborate productively with system and peer leaders to learn, share and adopt best practices. Whenever possible, standardize equipment and processes to leverage the organization's resources
and become more cost efficient in the delivery of health care. Productively engage in system oncology leadership committees and initiatives.
Quality, Safety, Accreditation, and Regulatory:
Promotes quality improvement, safety, and growth activities for the different committees within the service line. Monitors key outcome data for all cost centers. Utilizes outcome data to improve
practice, process flow and evidenced practices. Implements and continuously aligns processes to maintain and improve quality outcomes. Promotes evidence-based practice and ethical accountability.
Promotes performance improvement initiatives designed to enhance quality patient care and improve work processes, especially focusing on clinical and operational outcomes. Promotes safety in the work
environment and delivery of patient care. Assures compliance with legal and regulatory requirements. Meets or exceeds performance and quality improvement standards for assigned area (oncology
services). Ensures compliance of State, Federal, Joint Commission regulations in all departments. Site leader for accreditation efforts with American College of Surgeon Commission on Cancer, NAPBC and
other organizations for Hospital based services. Ensures high quality, cost effective, patient-centered care is delivered in all areas or responsibility. Monitors patient satisfaction surveys on an on-going
basis through reports and makes appropriate recommendations, changes based on trending and survey results. Provide timely follow-up with patient / family concerns or issues. Ensures timely
service recovery performed as needed all departments.
Medical Staff and Community Relations:
Establishes, maintains and enhances communication among oncology-related physicians, other medical staff, community, appropriate healthcare agencies and the public. Meet regularly with oncology-related physicians to solicit their input on patient care and operational/programmatic improvements. Communicates and listens effectively by expressing ideas clearly and persuasively. Is proficient, organized and succinct in making formal presentations. Writes with clarity, impact and an appropriate style.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all WellStar Health System policies, standards of work, and code of conduct.
Required Minimum Education
- Master's Degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Adminsitration, Nursing or related field is Required
Required Minimum Experience
- Minimum 8 years of progressive leadership experience, including five (5) years of management experience with significant focus on operations, business and financial responsibilities is required
- Minimum 6 years of oncology operations leadership experience is required
- Operational management, Budgeting, financial management experience is required
- Oncology regulatory and accreditation compliance experience is preferred
- Lean or six sigma experience is preferred
Required Minimum Skills
- Performance management skills, financial acumen, strategic planning, communication skills, knowledge of industry standards, leadership and interpersonal skills; analytical skills to solve technical problems as well as abstract reasoning to define course of actions when information may be vague or unclear.
- The individual must be able to communicate and understand verbal and written English language, as well as possess the ability to organize and present data in a detailed, legible and compelling manner.
- Additionally, this role requires organizational skills that enable the individual to react and perform under stress and emergency situations, and to manage multiple priorities on an on-going basis.
- Management skills to effectively lead employees in a task-oriented environment, time management skills to meet scheduled and non-scheduled operational deadlines, analytical skills to prepare and manage budget.
- A patient centered focus, positive and compassionate attitude, and orientation to the unique challenges facing cancer patients are paramount qualities.