Clinical DietitianWellstar Kennestone Hospital • Marietta, GA • Allied Health • 114887 • Days • PRN
Clinical Dietitian - PRN Practices as a member of the interdisciplinary health care team responsible for the provision of medical nutrition therapy. Fosters continuity of the Nutrition Care Process across all phases of the continuum of care as recommended by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Performs nutrition assessment for patients identified to be at nutrition risk based on criteria outlined by the hospital and best practice standards. Calculates metabolic nutrient requirements according to the age and disease specific needs of patients. Performs nutrition focused physical exam to further evaluate risk of malnutrition as indicated. Develops a nutrition diagnosis as appropriate and consistent with the Nutrition Care Process. Creates and implements a nutrition intervention and care plan for all patients with a nutrition diagnosis. Continuously evaluates and monitors the effectiveness and outcomes of medical nutrition therapy intervention. Provides nutrition education to patients, family, and/or members of the healthcare team on recommended nutrition intervention(s) to accomplish nutrition goals; which may include, but is not limited to any of the following topics: specialized diet, enteral/oral medical nutrition supplements, food selections, eating behaviors, and community nutrition resources. Manages the delivery of nutrition care services according to the site of care assigned. Participates in performance improvement and research activities. Mentors dietetic interns/diet technicians. Actively assess, evaluates and maintains professional development and competencies outlined in the position description.
PRN Days = As Needed
Core Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Develops, implements, and promotes quality services based on client expectation and needs.
* Collaborates with patient and/or family member, and healthcare team to assess nutrition and education needs of patients.
* Provides services and establishes goals based on the identified needs of patients and/or family members.
* Applies knowledge and skills in developing, implementing and maintaining nutrition care plans.
* Continuously evaluates nutrition care processes and patient outcomes and implements quality practice by following system policies, procedures, and evidenced based research.
* Provides care according to organizational ethics, licensure and Standards of Professional Practice for Dietetics Professionals.
* Applies Joint Commission and/or regulatory standards in the provision of nutrition care.
* Utilized patient experience and empathy skills when interacting with patients and family members.
* Participates in multidisciplinary rounds, appropriate committees, and team member huddles.
- Provide medical nutrition therapy according to system policy and A.N.D. Nutrition Care Process practice
* Utilizes the Nutrition Care Process and WellStar Nutrition Care Policies when assessing patients.
* Responsible for nutrition screen, assessment, diagnosis, intervention, and monitoring/evaluation of identified at risk patients.
* Apply psycho-social, age appropriate, evidence-based nutrition care.
* Document all patient encounters in the health care record in accordance with hospital and department policies and procedures.
* Identify, monitor, and evaluate enteral nutrition support regimens. Manage enteral nutrition support under the supervision of medical staff.
* Develop and implements transitional feeding plans.
* Perform Nutrition Focused Physical Exams to evaluate malnutrition severity as appropriate.
* Assess patient's learning needs, barriers to learning, preferred learning styles and educational level and provides nutrition education accordingly.
* Utilizes community resources through the continuum of care to foster positive patient outcomes.
- Locates, reviews, and utilizes best practice research findings for their application in optimally managing a disease or condition and improving patient outcomes.
* Bases clinical practice on sound scientific principles, current research and theory.
* Shares and reports research and patient outcomes utilizing various media.
* Demonstrates knowledge related to clinical practice.
* Communicates sound scientific principles, research, and theory to health care team members and dietetic interns in optimally managing patients' care.
* Shares knowledge and expertise with dietetic interns, patients, family members and healthcare team members.
* Documents understanding of relevant information and results of communication with dietetic interns/technicians/patients/families and healthcare team members.
* Contributes to the development of new knowledge and services.
* Seeks out information effectively and independently to provide effective services.
- Systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness of practice and revises practice as needed to incorporate results of evaluation.
* Participates in and identifies performance improvement criteria for nutrition care by completing peer chart audits as assigned and reviewing with their nutrition leader.
* Continuously evaluates and refines service based on measurable outcomes by keeping a productivity log.
* Identifies expected outcomes of patient care.
* Participates in quality improvement initiatives and projects.
- Engages in lifelong self-development to improve knowledge and skills that promote continued competence.
* Conducts yearly self-assessment to identify professional strengths and weaknesses.
* Identifies needs for professional development and mentors dietetic interns.
* Documents professional development activities according to system policies.
* Engage in continuous learning opportunities to further develop skills and capabilities in application technical and functional areas.
Required for All Jobs:
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Complies with all WellStar Health System policies, standards of work, and code of conduct.
Required Minimum Education:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a major in nutrition / dietetics. Completion of a supervised practice didactic program accredited by the Accreditation Counsel for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND).
Required Minimum Certification:
Registered Dietitian / Nutritionist (RD, RDN) through the Commission on Dietetics Registration (CDR) within 6 months of hire. Licensed Dietitian (LD) through Georgia licensing board obtained within 6 months of hire. AHA-BLS preferred.
Required Minimum Experience:
One to two years clinical experience highly preferred. Experience with electronic medical record charting systems and other software relative to food service systems required.
Required Minimum Skills:
Excellent interpersonal, customer service, verbal and written communication skills. Knowledge of best practices in clinical nutrition and the dietetics profession. Knowledge of Nutrition Care Process and its use in complex cases in the clinical setting.Ability to think critically to apply nutrition interventions to patients with multiple comorbidities and/or special needs including management of enteral nutrition provisions. Ability to maintain effective relationships with other healthcare professionals in sharing nutrition knowledge and expertise. Ability to work with patient interests and health in mind. Knowledge of malnutrition assessment including performance of nutrition focused physical exam preferred.