Dir Nursing Long Term CareWellstar West Georgia Medical Center • LaGrange, Georgia • Day Shift • Full Time • JR-3502
The Director of Nursing Long Term Care is a registered professional nurse who provides leadership and management of a specific service line through the application of advanced competencies in communication, job knowledge, professionalism and business skills. This leader is a member of the chief nursing officer's administrative team and may serve as her/his designee for assigned responsibilities. This individual reports to the Nursing Home Administrator and partners with nursing leadership, hospital vice presidents, medical staff and other departments to create a center of excellence for their specialty service and to meet or exceed the hospital's mission, vision and goals. This leader administers to two or more cost centers with a range of 50 to 200 FTEs in a hospital or specialty hospital in a smaller rural community area or system accountability for a domain of nursing practice. The Director of Nursing handles a budget less than 80 million dollars.
The Director of Nursing provides direct leadership for a group of nurse managers and others who comprise their specialty service line. This individual is a standard bearer and holds leaders and staff accountable for the delivery of safe, quality care and services through effective communication, employment of transformation leadership, managing by walking around, and instilling an accountability-based practice setting. The director of nursing serves as sponsor for performance improvement; inspires others to seek opportunities to grow and improve their performance and successfully applies lean and evidenced based practice to ensure all targets pillar outcomes are achieved. This leader employs all safety interventions and as the chief safety officer creates a culture of safety for his/her service line through the development/use of these skills by other leaders, physicians and staff. This individual effectively uses data and technology to make decisions and proactively mitigates unnecessary risks for his/her area of responsibility, providing instruction and mentoring for assigned leaders to be able to do the same. This leader ensures that nurse managers and staff create a desirable, safe work environment that enables the organization to meet or exceed all licensure, regulatory and accreditation standards. The individual models the way by fostering exemplary skills in attaining effective teamwork and collaboration with physicians, staff, patients and other departments.
The Director of Nursing for Paulding Nursing Center is responsible for the overall operation of the facility and oversight of the quality of care and well-being of the residents and employees. Responsible for facility compliance to all state and federal regulations.
It is expected that all nurse leaders are licensed, knowledgeable and uphold the practice of nursing as outlined by the Georgia Professional Nurse Practice Act and implements the Scope of Practice and Code of Ethics Standards put forth by the American Nurses Association. As a member of the patient services team, it is expected the individual upholds the voice of the patient, system policies and
procedures while supporting service excellence goals.
Core Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- a.Establish, monitor and review long and short-term plans for effectiveness of business operation.
- b.Establish and support performance improvement activities and other processes to support business line and growth.
- c.Routine touring and rounding on units to establish open-door communication and to identify potential issues within the facility.
- d.Attends facility, campus and system meetings to represent the Nursing Center and Post-Acute Services. Regulatory Compliance
- a.Ensures compliance with all governing bodies.
- b.Reacts to quality and clinical issues with quick problem-solving methods and skills. Attends state agency and association training and builds partnerships with other outside support systems.
- a.Facilitates monthly PI, Resident Council, quarterly family meetings as outlined in State regulations.
- b.Oversees all written communication to Department of Human Resources Office of Regulatory Services regarding all mandatory self-reports, complaint and annual survey plans of correction. Human Resource Management
- a.Oversees training and development of employees.
- b.Coaching and feedback training with all direct reports.
- c.Effective delegation of training, communication and follow-up activities with personnel related issues. Financial Management
- a.Tracks and adheres to financial plan.
- b.Makes financial decisions based on cost/benefit.
- c.Communicates financial reports to team members and strategize when changes are required.
- d.Implements appropriate changes based on status of budget. Customer Service
- a.Maintains accessibility for all residents, families and employees through one-to-one visits, meetings and rounding to address complaints and complaint follow-up.
- b.Incorporates, trains, and models Standard of Gold into all aspects of communication and representation.
- c.Involvement and support of campus and system activities with Press Ganey and other Customer Service initiatives.
- d.Recognizes, rewards, and or creates opportunities to celebrate employee achievements.
Required Minimum Education:
Associate's Degree in nursing (ASN) Required or
High school diploma from accredited nursing school. Required and
Bachelor's Degree in nursing Preferred or
related business field Preferred
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s)
Reg Nurse (Single State) Required
RN - Multi-state Compact Required
Basic Life Support Required
BLS - Instructor Required
BLS - Provisional Required
Required Minimum Experience:
Minimum 7 years of experience as a Registered Nurse; includes 3-5 years of progressive operational leadership in an assistant manager or manager role. Required
Required Minimum Skills:
Should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and relationship building;
a knowledge of the health care environment;
leadership that includes such skills as successfully implementing and managing a change process – ability to use systems thinking- and inspire, coach others to be successful;
model the way for professional practice;
professionalism and teamwork/collaboration for self/department/medical staff;
and possess necessary business skills to manage human and material resources.
Must be a continuous learner who understands health care financing;
strategy and operations for running a business unit(s);
and effectively employ data and technology to support work processes and make decisions.
Supports shared governance or shared decision making;
manage the design and delivery of care that in based on evidence and focused on quality and safety.
Knowledge of risk management and various accreditation/regulations/licensing requirements assuring that these are upheld while advancing industry standards through the achievement of goals by effective management and measurement of outcomes.
Join us and discover the support to do more meaningful work—and enjoy a more rewarding life. Connect with the most integrated health system in Georgia, and start a future that gives you more.