Executive Director, SecurityWellstar Shared Services • Marietta, GA • Leadership • 113626 • Days • Full-Time
The Executive Director Security Services at Wellstar Heath System reports to the Vice President / Chief Security Officer. This individual provides professional leadership and direction of the security management plan to provide for the protection of patients, visitors, employees, medical staff members, volunteers and property for all Wellstar Health System facilities.
This leader provides operational oversight of the security management plan for multiple hospitals, urgent care and satellite diagnostic centers, multiple health parks, adult living centers, more than 225 medical office locations, and more than 24,000 employees and contracted staff and more than 2,500 medical staff members.
The security management program developed must meet or exceed applicable TJC standards, be consistent with current legal guidelines and have provisions for evaluating effectiveness and continuing performance improvements. This individual provides expert knowledge of accepted security standards, practices and guidelines.
This individual provides expertise in assessing and evaluating security services for existing sites as well as expansion or acquisitions, including consideration of employed and contracted services. This leader must be knowledgeable of current laws/regulations as well as partner with community services to understand security risks and disaster/emergency services.
This leader manages a complex system of resources and training to appropriately arm security personnel to provide protection services to include expert knowledge of local and state law for armed professionals. This leader has expertise in investigation techniques to address concerns related to employee, visitor and property safety and protection.
Core Responsibilites and Essential Functions
- Oversees the Security operations for the multiple Wellstar Hospitals, urgent care centers, satellite diagnostic centers, health parks, and business office buildings.
* a.Provides direction of the Security Management Plan including operational policies and procedures for the department
* b.Evaluates the effectiveness of the Security Management Plan annually
* c.Reviews, reconciles and processes monthly invoices for assigned contracted security services
* d.Responsible for the selection and training of the security management staff
* e.Oversees the direction and coordination of investigative activities
* f.Responsible for and coordination of departmental training programs
* g.Provides leadership support to operational leaders
* h.Meets with team regarding departmental operations, system security needs and develops plans to ensure goals are successfully met
* i.Manages incidents and facilitates security to people and facilities when confronted with violence
- Manages assigned paid parking programs
* a.Reviews, analyzes and processes monthly receipts from the parking contract service
* b.Works with parking partners on joint ventures at both locations and works with the accounting department in reviewing and approving quarterly distributions
* c.Works with senior leadership in planning for future parking needs on all campuses
* d.Establishes parking policies and procedures for assigned hospital campuses
- Assessment, training and facilitation of security need
* a.Assesses security services for existing sites as well as expansion or acquisitions
* b.Evaluates use of both contracted and employed services to support a safe environment
* c.Maintain expertise in armed security training
* d.Retain expert knowledge of local and state law for armed protection services
- Oversee strategy for security technology in support of the Security Management Plan
* a.Oversees security technology standards for existing facilities and new construction
* b.Understands nuances of local/geographic security protection needs
* c.Provides consulting service to facility and system leaders related to security technology issues
* d.Serves as the enterprise focal point for security incident response planning and execution
* e.Assesses current security technology strategies effectiveness and modify as appropriate to meet system needs
* f.Manages vendor relationship relative to security technology and systems
- Internal and External Communication/Reporting
* a.Provides regular reports to facility-based and system Environment of Care Committees and senior leaders regarding the departments performance as well as significant and criminal events both on campus and off
* b.Evaluates annually the scope, performance and effectiveness of the security management program
* c.Ensures regular assessments of risks to identify potential problems critical to reducing risk of crime, injury and other serious incidents are conducted in a timely manner
* d.Conducts on-going assessments as necessary to ensure safe and secure facilities for employees, staff, visitors and patients
* e.Develops and reviews policies as appropriate to ensure compliance with current standards, laws and requirements to reduce risk and enhance safety
Required for All Jobs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all Wellstar Health System policies, standards of work, and code of conduct.
Required Minimum Education
- Bachelor's Degree Required
Required Minimum Experience
- Minimum 5 years experience in a security leadership position Required and
- Minimum 3 years in healthcare management in a healthcare system of similar size and complexity Preferred
Required Minimum Skills
- Possesses writing skills necessary to develop policies, procedures and training programs for all system departments as required.
- Must possess the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of management and staff.
- Must satisfactorily complete the International Association of Healthcare Security and Safety (IAHSS) Basic and Supervisory Security Certificate programs within the first year of employment.
- Public relations skills necessary to communicate effectively with the public in a courteous, professional and tactful manner.
- Must be able to develop and manage operating budgets for all areas of responsibility.
- Strong leadership, coaching, troubleshooting, management and mentoring skills.
- Knowledge and experience with alarm systems, disaster/emergency preparedness, investigative techniques, key control, security technology, video surveillance and access control systems.
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s)
- Georgia Weapons Carry Permit Preferred
- Georgia Driver's License Required