Student Nurse (RN) Extern Program (All Facilities) - Spring (May 2024) Start Date1800 Parkway Center • Marietta, Georgia • Various Shift • PRN • JR-2529
Wellstar's Student Nurse Extern Program is the perfect opportunity for current nursing students to gain
additional experience at the bedside while completing a nursing (RN) degree!
Apply today to be considered for the next available program start date (March 11, 2024)
(Must have at least one clinical completed by March 11th, 2024 Start Date)
The Student Nurse Extern (SNE) provides basic care under the direction of the registered professional nurse. The SNE role is designed to provide an experiential learning opportunity for students to evolve towards professional nursing practice through the acquisition of basic clinical skills and advancing their knowledge related to patient care.
The Nurse Extern position reports directly to the Nurse Manager. Key responsibilities of the role include safe, age appropriate and culturally competent care by performing basic patient t care functions, i.e. ambulation, vital signs, transporting supplies/equipment/patient medications and other duties deemed necessary. The SNE may perform approved advanced technical procedures consistent with their experience and training. Advanced technical procedures (phlebotomy, incentive spirometry teaching, oral suctioning, insertion, and removal of per wick and removal of foley catheter) may be provided as per facility education and training. The SNE must be able to work in a fast-paced environment which requires multi-tasking activities and ongoing communication with the registered nurse. Must be able to perform under stressful conditions with a compassionate, respectful, and helpful manner. Must be able to take direction from a variety of care providers. Must be organized with excellent communication skills.
The SNE role promote a positive patient experience by partnering with the patient, family and other health care providers to provide excellence in customer service and assistance with basic daily living activities and comfort measures.
Core Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
Excellence in Customer Service and Patient Centered Care
- Provides patient care under the supervision of the Registered Professional Nurse.
- Provides basic patient care needs (ex. Hygiene, nutrition, elimination, physical comfort measures) as assigned.
- Protects rights, confidentiality, concerns, and dignity of patients.
- Provides a safe environment for the provision of patient care.
- Participates in hourly patient rounding.
- Answer’s telephone and call lights promptly and notifies appropriate individual of need for follow-up.
- Proactively helps and comfort measures to patients and families.
- Present self in positive and professional manner and show sensitivity to concerns and needs of others.
- Assist RN and other members of health care team with care delivery as assigned.
- Consistent use of appropriate hand hygiene.
- Maintain patient rooms and unit areas clean and free of clutter.
- Follows appropriate PPE/Infection control policies.
- Reinforces the importance of universal precautions with patient and patient’s family.
- Utilizes proper body mechanics and lift equipment. Teamwork
- Supports initiatives of the health care team.
- Participates in unit performance improvement initiatives.
- Supports professional nursing practice through shared governance, evidenced-based practice, and ethical accountability.
- Transports unit supplies, patient care supplies, medications and equipment as assigned.
- Practices accountability. Communication
- Uses effective written and oral communication skills with patients, staff, physicians, family, and visitors.
- Uses safety communication techniques.
- Communicates completion of assignment/duties to appropriate person.
- Communicates patient care concerns/problems/emergencies to the RN.
- Uses positive and respectful communication with all members of healthcare team, patients, and families. Evolving Professional Practice
- Completes a minimum of three of the following professional development activities per year:
- Local monthly meeting attendance.
- Professional Enrichment sessions.
- Professional practice advancement activities.
Required Minimum Education:
High school diploma or equivalent from accredited program Required and
one (1) semester clinical in a nationally accredited Associate, Baccalaureate or Master’s-level pre-licensure nursing program.
Required Minimum License(s) and Certification(s):
Basic Life Support / American Heart Association
Additional Licenses and Certifications:
Required Minimum Experience:
at least one clinical rotation completed in an acute care setting
Required Minimum Skills:
Ability to read, write and speak the English language.
Strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
Ability to collaborate with other health care providers in the provision of patient care.
Ability to multi-task essential.
Ability to function in stressful and emergency situations essential.
Strong detail orientation required.
Computer skills required.
Personal time management skills are required.
Basic computer skills required.
Ability to enter information into an electronic medical record required.
Basic medical terminology required.
Join us and discover the support to do more meaningful work—and enjoy a more rewarding life. Connect with the most integrated health system in Georgia, and start a future that gives you more.
- PRN Registered Nurse Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) Marietta 02/22/2024
- Unit PRN Registered Nurse MedSurg Pediatric Unit Marietta 02/13/2024
- Unit PRN Registered Nurse Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) Marietta 01/19/2024