Safety SitterWellstar Kennestone Hospital • Marietta, GA • Nursing Support • 104904 • Nights • PRN
The Safety Sitter role will primarily function as a constant monitor for patients requiring continuous observation. The safety sitter's responsibility is to observe and report behaviors that may interrupt medically necessary therapies and/or perceived changes in the patient's condition to appropriate health care team member (s). The safety sitter will function under the direction of the registered nurse assigned to the patient they are monitoring, a designee assigned by the registered nurse, such as the clinical supervisor on duty. The safety sitter is focused on promoting a positive patient experience by partnering with the patient, family, and other care providers to provide excellence in customer service and assistance with daily living activities and comfort measures as needed for patient observation. The safety sitter may assist other health care providers with safe, age appropriate and culturally competent care by performing basic patient care functions, i.e., ADL's, ambulation, and toileting. The safety sitter must be able to work in a fast-paced environment which requires observation and ongoing communication with a registered nurse and interdisciplinary team. Must be able to perform under stressful conditions with a compassionate, respectful, and helpful manner. Must be able to take direction.
- Continuous Observation
- Notify RN/Charge RN/CCP of potential or recent changes in the patient’s behavioral risk factors, or mental status as observed
- Document patient status every 15 minutes on patients under observation for involuntary behavioral health patients and every hour for medical safety sitting.
- Evaluate & secure environment for safety each shift. Document interventions as needed
- Always Ensures direct visibility & observation of patient.
- Telesitter Facility Liaison
- Tracks, delivers, maintains, and retrieves telesitter carts
- Troubleshoots any cart connectivity issues and places an IT ticket if necessary
- Performs safe room guideline checks upon initiation and upon every hand-off thereafter
- Performs environmental rounds to ensure safe room guidelines are being maintained
- Responds to remote telesitter escalation for face-to-face intervention
- Notifies Nurse and/or charge Nurse when face to face redirection is required
- Care Team Collaboration
- Supports initiatives of the interdisciplinary care team
- Practices 200% accountability for patient safety
- Patient Transport- proper verification of patient identification & notification of RN upon leaving or returning to room when not needed for patient observation
- EVS & Nutrition Services – assist EVS & Food services when not needed for patient observation.
- Patient Centered Care
- Supports an environment of healing or wellness for patients which includes addressing patient needs in partnership with the patient
- engages the patient and family in compliance with the treatment plan.
- Effectively contributes to the plan of care or treatment intervention based on assigned tasks and patient/family input in collaboration with the healthcare team with a focus on the care continuum.
- Consistently implements safety interventions to minimize risk in achievement of intended outcomes
- Provides basic patient care needs (ex. Hygiene, nutrition, elimination, physical comfort measures) as assigned.
- Assist RN and other members of health care team with care delivery as assigned
- Notifies nurse when physician/interdisciplinary care team members arrive in observed patient room
- Safe Space and Infection Control
- Provides a safe environment for the provision of patient care
- Consistent use of appropriate hand hygiene
- Keeps patient rooms and unit areas clean and free of clutter
- Follows appropriate PPE/Infection control policies e. Reinforces the importance of universal precautions with patient and patient’s family
- Utilizes proper body mechanics and lift equipment
- Performs environment of care rounds
- Uses effective written and oral communication skills with patients, staff, physicians, family and visitors
- Uses safety communication techniques.
- Communicates completion of assignment/duties to appropriate person
- Communicates patient care concerns/problems/emergencies to the RN
- Uses positive and respectful communication with all members of healthcare team, patients and families.
- Communicates with patient and updates white boards with information as requested.
Required Minimum Education:
- High school diploma or equivalent from an accredited program
- Must attend and successfully complete the Wellstar training and Initial Competency Assessment within the first 30 days of employment.
Required Minimum Experience:
- Previous healthcare experience preferred
Required Minimum license and Certifications:
- Basic Life Support
- Unit Secretary Marietta 06/02/2023
- Care Partner Marietta 06/01/2023
- Care Partner Marietta 06/01/2023