Executive Director, IT Project ManagementWCO - Wellstar Corporate Office • Marietta, Georgia • Day Shift • Full Time • JR-6246
Primary responsibility of this position is to lead the IT Project Management Office (PMO) with consistent policy, processes, tools and resources for the management and execution of complex projects and process improvement initiatives across the organization as directed by senior leadership. The role is responsible for leading multiple Information Technology initiatives aligned with the organizational strategy and spanning departments and subject areas for the enterprise. The position takes a hands-on approach to assertively managing all aspects of major initiatives, including working to define and adhere to scope with the leadership team, lead and present in meetings, manage work products and plans, and ensure successful completion of initiatives. The position is responsible for grasping the subject matter and applying WellStar's operating principles to proposed solutions including project management and Lean best practices, tools and methodology. Major areas of responsibility include (1) facilitation of strategic deployment discussions to support effective and aligned use of IT-PMO resources. (2) leadership and development of the IT-PMO team (3) the management of resources and project & initiative scoping, (4) partnership with internal customers (project champions) to ensure optimal project outcomes, (5) Tracking and reporting of project progress and metrics, (6) project planning, governance, control and communication.
The position directly supervises managers, consultants, project managers and team members in the day to day interactions with executive clients and sponsors of projects, develop and maintain contact with top decision makers, participate and lead aspects of scoping projects and expectations. This role has significant responsibility for planning, budgeting and mobilizing teams and is very 'hands-on' with interactions across multiple project work streams. Indirectly, this position will be responsible for the overriding methodology, tools and structure for project management across the organization.
Core Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Develop and maintain full administration of project management tools, resources and methodologies available to the organization for the planning and execution of sanctioned projects including competencies, ongoing education requirements, applications/systems and other standards.
- Maintain project logs, dashboards and other reporting and be prepared to discuss project quality, client and team satisfaction, and project success metrics with the VP of Enterprise Intelligence and Integration as well as the leadership team.
- Work to help identify areas of opportunities including project and departmental efficiencies.
- Lead and support the development and facilitation of PMO training classes as needs are identified for the organization
- Promote Lean philosophy and appropriate use of Lean methodology in the context of project management and IT-PMO department functions.
- Support informal training opportunities for system team members ranging from senior leaders to front-line employees
- Serve as a coach / mentor for WellStar team members Resource management
- Assess, analyze and advocate for IT-PMO structure and specific resources that best meet WellStar’s organizational needs and IT-PMO charge.
- Determine and assign project roles of team members based on project requirements, timeframes and budgets if necessary.
- Determine, when necessary, the need or extent of work with external contractors or consultants in addition to internal resources.
- Define skill sets (competencies) required for the project based on project specifications and requirements.
- Manage scope creep through developed protocols and procedures. Client management
- Engages team members to seek opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Builds a knowledge base of each client’s business, organization and objectives.
- Communicates effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions.
- Follow-up with clients/customers to ensure project meets expectations with respect to quality, budget, delivery timelines, and strategy. Project Governance
- Lead and manage IT-PMO intake and execution process with key shared service areas (CARE, ETO, Digital, Data, etc..)
- Lead IT-PMO Governance leadership team to prioritize and manage projects and resources
- Identify, track, manage and mitigate risk on specific projects as needed. Escalate these issues when necessary to ensure minimal impact to quality, budget, and timeline to senior leadership as needed.
- Communicate progress, risks, expectations, timelines, milestones and other key project metrics to clients and team members Project planning Control
- Maintain a working knowledge of projects in progress across the organization and lead the teams on implications of changes to project scope and/or objectives to the client and to the project team.
- Lead the team to prioritize signed off project work based on analysis of strategic importance, tasks outstanding, obstacles or barriers, budgets, resources and deadlines.
- Participate in the creation of project documentation as needed
- Lead department and project managers to manage the customers/project champions, team members, or contract personnel to design a solution and establish associated project timelines and budgets that allow for the delivery of the most strategic functionality within the project constraints.
- Maintain organizational wide calendar and project statuses, establish and maintain a usable and well-communicated schedule for all phases of a project.
- Lead project managers effectively to evaluate all key project deliverables, as well as final product to ensure traceability of requirements, high quality and client acceptance.
- Assist project managers with contingency plans when issues arise and lead project managers to effectively implement revised project schedule, scope or budget in a timely manner, as needed.
Builds a culture of trust and engagement as reflected in the Great Place to Work Trust Index Survey at a direct report, workgroup and hospital/entity level.
Holds leaders accountable for behaviors that create trust and engagement.
Performs all duties and responsibilities of this position in a manner that reflects the values of WellStar.
Maintains and strengthens relationships with physicians and assures their involvement in developing systems to assure the growth of the service and the cost effective delivery of quality patient care in a manner that fosters patient and employee satisfaction.
Results Oriented Leadership:
Sets challenging and productive goals for team.
Holds team accountable for actions while providing leadership and motivation.
Provides resources and support,
Uses checkpoints and data to track progress, setting up system and processes to measure results.
Required Minimum Education:
Bachelor's Degree is required.
Master's Degree in Business is required. A minimum of 15 years related experience will be considered in lieu of Masters degree.
Additional Licenses and Certifications:
Lean certification is preferred.
PMP is required at time of hire or within two (2) years of hire.
Required Minimum Experience:
Minimum 10 years project management experience is required.
Minimum 5 years directly related experience managing large complex and multiple projects and running a project management office is required.
Minimum 5 years management of a team including effective progressive leadership is required.
Health System operations experience is strongly preferred and consulting experience is preferred.
Required Minimum Skills:
Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects that are strategic in nature
Experience creating document charters, project plans, etc.
Experience working with cross-functional teams and to interact with all levels of management
Professional competence in Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel.
Superior critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills
Exceptional interpersonal, team-building and communication skills
Ability to build consensus and foster change in organizational setting
Commitment to personal and professional growth
Sense of responsibility to self, team and project
Outstanding integrity, initiative, creativity, and passion
Demonstrated ability to innovate in a manner that propels the organization or department forward.
Ability to work in an ambiguous environment
Experience leading or managing teams and change initiatives
Experience with budgetary responsibilities related to projects or resources
Experience in a matrixed environment
Experience with Healthcare initiative and clinical programs
Join us and discover the support to do more meaningful work—and enjoy a more rewarding life. Connect with the most integrated health system in Georgia, and start a future that gives you more.