Emergency Department TechnicianWellstar Kennestone Hospital • Marietta, GA • Nursing Support • 114457 • Days • Full-Time
How would you like to work in a place where your contributions and ideas are valued? A place where you can serve with compassion, pursue excellence and honor every voice? At Wellstar, our mission is simple, yet powerful: to enhance the health and well-being of every person we serve. We are proud to have become a shining example of what's possible when the brightest professionals dedicate themselves to making a difference in the healthcare industry, and in people's lives.
The Emergency Department Tech Level 1 is a multi-skilled caregiver who functions under the direction of the professional Registered Nurse. Provides safe, age-appropriate care to the patient by performing the following patient care functions and technical procedures: vital signs, 12-lead EKG, bedside blood sugar testing, superficial wound care, oral suctioning, splint application, instruction of safe ambulation with crutches. Must understand and practice aseptic technique when required: urethral catheterization, sterile tray preparation, dressing applications and all phlebotomy. Must be able to operate and observe cardiac monitors to ensure recognition of arrhythmias (site specific Kennestone ED), as well as operate pulse oximetry monitors. Requires knowledge of all specialty instruments and trays, including trauma resuscitation equipment and set-up, ENT trays, special procedure trays. Transports patients, unit supplies, equipment, and patient medications. Assures patient care area is appropriately stocked with supplies. Monitor's patients in restraint/seclusion and documents observations. Performs other duties deemed necessary to ensure delivery of patient care.
Take a tour to view our wonderful emergency department!
- Provides safe, age- appropriate care to the patient:
- Obtain and document vital signs; inform nurse if vital signs are abnormal.
- Perform 12-lead EKG and hand to ED physician.
- Perform bedside blood sugar testing; inform nurse if result is abnormal.
- Measure and apply extremity splints as directed by nurse or physician.
- Instruct patient regarding safe crutch ambulation techniques with return demonstration by
- Oral suctioning.
- Superficial wound care.
Performs procedures using aseptic technique:
- Urethral catheterization.
- Sterile tray preparation.
- Dressing application.
- Telesitter Facility Liaison:
- Tracks, delivers, maintains, and retrieves telesitter carts
- Troubleshoots any cart connectivity issues and places an IT ticket if necessary
- Performs safe room guideline checks upon initiation and upon every hand-off thereafter
- Performs environmental rounds to ensure safe room guidelines are being maintained
- Responds to remote telesitter escalation for face-to-face intervention
- Notifies Nurse and/or charge Nurse when face to face redirection is required.
- Transport, using good body mechanics as appropriate:
- Patients via stretcher or wheelchair, ensuring patient safety.
- Unit supplies.
- Patient medications
- Monitor’s patients in restraint / seclusion:
- Frequency of monitoring performed as per policy.
- Document monitoring as per policy.
- Notify nurse of abnormal findings or observation
- Observes cardiac monitors to ensure the recognition of arrhythmias: (Site specific
- Recognize cardiac rhythms and communicate findings to registered professional as
- Provides accurate patient information for each monitor in use
- Responsible for cleaning and maintaining monitors and pumps in monitor room
- Assures patient care area is appropriately stocked.
Required Minimum Education:
- High School Diploma or equivalent Required
Required Minimum Certification:
- Basic Life Support
Required Minimum Experience:
- Previous healthcare experience preferred.
Required Minimum Skills:
- Effective communication skills both written and verbal Required.
- Proficiency with desktop computer Required.
- Demonstrate willingness to be a team- player and a self- starter Required.
- Proficiency obtaining vital signs using manual processess Required.